Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Kangaskhan vs Aegislash


Kangaskhan and Aegislash, a match made in Ubers heaven



Kangaskhan… that name has caused many a rage quit on the ranked leader boards over the past two years. When Gamefreak created a mega form for Kangaskhan they created a weapon of such mass destruction that it broke the very fabric of poke-reality!


…Ok maybe I'm exaggerating a little. What did happen though was that everyone began to use one of my favourite old school Pokemon. I was so excited. Kangaskhan had always been awesome to me and it was finally getting the respect it deserved. Then suddenly every team had a Mega Kangaskhan and every single one would start sweeping teams. I went from being so proud of that Pokemon to dreading the very sight of it. Oh look, that guy has a Kangaskhan, might as well quit now and save myself some time.

A similar thing happened with Aegislash. When they announced Aegislash I was stoked. Ghost Steel? My two favourite types put together? Plus it's a badass sword with a signature move that sounded awesome! The moment I got a copy of the game I googled where to find one and used it more than even my starter. I was so happy with the guy that I used him to fight my friend and proceeded to 6-0 her team. That's when I first stopped to think. This pokemon who I had been using for fun, was able to beat my friend's properly bred and trained team without trying. It was too strong and I started feeling guilty every time I used it. Eventually it was sentenced to storage and I never used it again.

I constantly struggle with the idea of being a Pokemon Hipster where I immediately start avoiding Pokemon who have become too popular. I've managed to control that impulse to the point where I only use Pokemon that I genuinely enjoy using although I still occasionally catch myself avoiding Pokemon like Charizard and Greninja who have almost become mascots of the game alongside Pikachu. Don't even get me started on that Smogon bird.

I feel that now the metagame has balanced to the point that I can successfully start breeding a Kangaskhan and Aegislash to make the dream team I always wanted without sweeping every single game I come across.

Prepare yourself Pokemon world, BigMomma and Durandal are coming your way soon!
I will high five the hell out of anyone who knows where those names come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment